Dr. Elana interviews Dr. Kristina Harris Jackson from OmegaQuant, a company that specializes in Omega-3 testing. These beneficial fats are known as Essential Fatty Acids because your body cannot produce them on its own so they must come from your diet. This episode takes a deep dive into the science behind DHA, one of the essential fatty acids. Did you know that some research suggests that low levels of DHA can increase preterm births by 42%? Learn more about the importance of DHA during pregnancy and postpartum, how to test your levels, whether you should supplement, and what foods you can eat to boost your DHA levels.
Episode #142: DHA Testing with OmegaQuant
Please remember that the views on this podcast and website are not meant to be substituted for medical advice, shouldn’t be used to diagnose, treat or cure any conditions, and are intended for general information purposes only.
- The importance of DHA for pregnant and nursing women
- Prenatal DHA testing and testing levels in mother’s milk
- Why testing blood levels of DHA is recommended versus just taking the standard 200 mg/d DHA for pregnant women
- Trusting the results from an at-home test kit
- Safe levels of DHA during pregnancy, and the possible risks of high or low levels
- Best forms of DHA as supplements and also as food sources
- Is farmed salmon really safe to eat? Maybe so!